“Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.”
Self-doubt can be a troubling and persuasive voice that holds you back. It holds you back from seizing your opportunities. It makes getting started or finishing things harder than they need to be.
It can sometimes be useful as it helps you to soberly see your current limitations or simply recognize a half-baked or bad idea. But mostly, it holds you back in life.
So how can you get around that, how can you overcome those times of self-doubt so that you can move forward once again?
Even I don’t know. But I try to follow few things when I start doubting myself.
- First, List down why you are free. Because of free time, inner doubts bubble up. So try to get works in this free time or talk with your family and friends.
- Look to the past and awash yourself in the memories. Be real with yourself and ask yourself.
- Make a list of your goals. The goals that you want to achieve. Nothing comes without effort. The easiest goal that you can achieve take it in the first of that list. Start working to achieve that. It will give your confidence back. When you’ve taken one small step forward and you’re done with it then you have a win. It may be a small one but it’s still a win. So celebrate it.
- Talk to someone about your sorrows. When you keep your thoughts on the inside they can become distorted, exaggerated and not very much in line with reality or reasonable expectations.
- Don’t compare yourself with others. Not every human is same. He/she gave the effort to get it. If it is your goal then try it otherwise leave it. A comparison will not give you anything except sorrow.
- When you worry about what others may think or say if you do something then the self-doubt can quickly become stronger and you get stuck in inaction and in fear. Remember: those who are successful don’t care that much about what you do or say. So why you are bothered about it?
Those are my personal tricks and I try to follow when my inner doubts bubble up. Till now It worked for me.